Monday 31 August 2009

The Final Push

The final day was, as we thought, the sting in the tail of the ride. We had to go 'up and over' the North York Moors. Thankfully off road surfaces were well drained and we enjoyed some great riding, including some very fast descents which at times reached 45mph+. The Cleveland Way was a spectacular highlight with the heather on the grouse moors in full bloom....stunning. At one point on the fastest descent a wayward sheep decided to step out in front of myself and Mark, how we missed it is quite beyond me. A 45mph collision between man, sheep and mountain bike would have been a messy affair. We had several ascents to make that were between 1:4 and 1:3 and these really started to take their tole on our stamina. By now it was just sheer bloody mindedness that was keeping us going. Again I kept Richard and Mark amused with what had become my once a day 'comedy crash', this time into a a comfortable patch of bracken!

The last hour into Robin Hoods Bay was tough with yet another mile long 1:4 Ascent to deal with (thanks to my suggestion that we take a low level easy option!)

Our families were there to great us on the beach at Robin Hoods Bay for the obligatory celebration shots. All three of us were proud as punch to have reached our destination.

From a personal point of view this has been one of the toughest physical and mental challenges I have ever taken on. Mother Nature threw everything she had at us and at times I had to dig very deep into my reserves to keep going. I'm amazed I completed the ride as I had really done very little training. I'd really like to thank both Mark and Richard for agreeing to join me on this trip...they have been brilliant and very tolerant of the pace and grunts and groans of 'Tail-End Charlie"

Beth deserves a very big thank you for supporting us with hot sweet tea, lunch, power bars, energy snack and just great words of encouragement...We owe you one Beth.

I'd also like to thank my wife Cath who did such a great job in dealing with three very wet and knackered bikers after days one and three. That curry was awesome!

Special mention must go to Mike Clough of Japanese Knotweed Solutions Ltd who so kindly donated a fantastic bike for me to use on the ride. I guess you want it back now Mike?!

Lastly thanks to you all for sponsoring us and to those that have sent messages of support..they really do keep you going as did the ASSOS botty ointment!

If you ever see me on a mountain bike again...please shoot me.

Yours (in Lycra) Simon,Mark and Richard.

More photos and video will appear on the website soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment